Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Did I forget something

I have realised that I started this blog without any information about what I am doing......here, there and everywhere!

So...my name is Liesl Hazelton...and I am an alcoholic.....I also was awarded the Design NSW: Travelling Scholarship 2009


A new opportunity for young artists and designers to broaden there horizons by travelling and having experiences otherwise unobtainable or unavailable in Australia. Funded by the Powerhouse Museum, Art NSW and supported by the British Council. And as long as you are in the first five years of your professional practice and not working in the built environment you can enter....Just DO It!
I applied for the scholarship in 2008....to help fund my guest semester in Germany and Hochschule Pforzheim...


I wasnt successful...so I worked worked and worked some more to fund my journey...I also was the recipent of the Hazelton Trust fund for that year.....Although there was some stiff competition...I think there was even a recount of the votes...

It was when i was living in Amsterdam...that I re applied for this years scholarship.....I had an interview at 6am...prepared a cup of coffee and was off to my neighbours place...to be honest...I was happy it was at this time because I wasnt able to be nervous....scared or say stupid things that would inhibit my chances of...dare I say winning....

After the interview...I woke my sister up....who was sharing the penthouse suite of a brothel with me...then I slept a little....between waking her up with my excitement...because I was convinced I was going to win.....I say win...because I saw it as not only as an award or recognition for my work...but as a competition...(the way I look at everything) that I have been training for....4 hard years....blood, sweat and silver!

I was the best this year!!! SO I cracked a beer, ate a stroopwaffle....and enjoyed the rest of the day!

I returned to Australia to make a plan....accept the award and then think....it generally takes me a while, about what my next move would be...

I originally proposed that I would use the scholarship to stay in Amsterdam....working with Gesine Hackenberg and Iris Nieuwenberg

and

Also to return to Germany and continue working with the disabled workshop in preparing an exhibition for my gallery in Antwerp, Belgium




To also also allow me to get established in the EU....

I decided that the scholarship was enabling me to achieve more then this....and those plans were already underway...I can use this scholarship to focus on developing my own career...a chance to think about what something I would never be able to do....either because of limited funds? or just not having the freedom to do so.

I left Amsterdam....I left ALOT of great friends there....I miss them all....and some other in Belgium....which was becoming a second home for me....and those who know me know why.....it has nothing to do with the diamonds!

I thought about it.....and this is what I am doing now.....I am at the beginning of the journey....I have made it through the wilderness.....and am seeing clearly on this cloudy day in NYC....
I start weaving tomorrow.....I am extremely excited about it....Cynthia is an amazing weaver and with her help...I am able to go alone to Guatemala and not join a house wife at play (Vroni) experience....
I also am able to get my Brazilian Visa back.....I am able to go there too...which means that not all is wasted...in Seoul....Although I still havent heard from my consulate....about the purse....
I am going to plan a halloween costume......skeletal....poncho....and extreme make up!
*this blog was completed with the help of Calexico: Feast of Wire
Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment